The following is a list of action steps for settlers to take towards the work of reconciliation.
I offer deep gratitude to The On Canada Project http://www.oncanadaproject.ca for their information and advocacy, and for the indigenous voices sharing their truth, knowledge, and resources.
- Read about the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada and the 94 calls to action for reconciliation http://www.nctr.ca/records/reports
- Email your local MP and DEMAND follow-through for reconciliation, specifically:
- Clean water for First Nations People
- Forensic Investigations into all residential school sites
- To cease all legal proceedings, now and forever, against residential school survivors
- All 94 calls to action on the TRC report until they are fulfilled by the government
3. BOMBARD Justin Trudeau with emails, demanding that September 30th be declared a national day of mourning. email@example.com. Save a draft of this email and send it repeatedly until this action is fulfilled.
4. Do the work to learn more, educate yourself, teach and tell children the truth, call out any and all acts of racism, and be an advocate for, and involved in, the work of reconciliation.
5. Donate money:
- Indian Residential School Survivors Society https://www.irsss.ca/donate
- Legacy of Hope Foundation https://legacyofhope.ca/english/get-involved/donate/
- On Canada Project https://oncanadaproject.ca/contribute